All Long Island homeowners can take advantage of programs offered by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. Residents can receive a free home energy audit and a report that will tell you where your home’s energy efficiency can be improved at a reasonable cost.
Contact the Long Island Green Homes program to get your free home energy audit. The audits are conducted by trained and approved home energy professionals, and are funded by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
After the audit is completed, you will get:
- A report that lets you know how your home can be more efficient
- Recommendations on cost effective upgrades
- Improvements to your home that will pay for themselves through lower energy bills
- Available low-cost financing from NYSERDA
- No out-of-pocket expenses – you choose what improvements to make or not make
Over 1000 Long Island homeowners have already gotten energy audits through the Long Island Green Homes program, which started in the summer or 2011.
Long Island Green Homes is a program administered locally by the Community Development Corporation, the Sustainability Institute at Molloy College, and 7 Townships on Long Island. The program is available to all Long Islanders.
NOW, making your home more energy efficient just got even easier.
Starting January 30, 2012, homeowners who finance projects through NYSERDA will have the option to use “On-Bill” financing to make loan payments via their LIPA electric bill. NYSERDA serves as the “bank,” and LIPA serves as the collector, to make payments more convenient and less costly for your new heating and cooling equipment, insulation, and air sealing.
Why Use On-Bill Financing?
- It saves you money! If you use on-bill financing, the interest rate is just 2.99% up to $25,000*
- Savings from the very start! Loan payments are structured to be lower than your monthly savings on energy bills, so you save money right from the start. If energy costs continue to rise, you save even more.
- No payments are due until June 2012.
- It’s convenient! No separate bill — your loan payment appears on your LIPA bill.
- It’s transferrable! If you sell your home, the loan can be transferred to the new owner. There is no reason to put it off.
This is a NY State program, available to all homeowners. If you live in the towns of Babylon, Brookhaven, Islip, Huntington, North Hempstead, Smithtown or Southampton, your town has staff on hand to help guide you to the right program for you and assist you in applying. Get started today by clicking the link: longislandgreenhomes.org
* A homeowner can finance up to $25,000 if the payback period (the amount of time it takes for the work to “pay for itself” in savings) is 15 years or less. If the payback period is longer than 15 years, the maximum amount eligible for financing is $13,000. See http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/on-bill for other Frequently Asked Questions.